May 28th, 2021: The Bangladesh Accord has been extended for 3-months.
In this emergency press call, held on May 12th, 2021, we focus on the historic Bangladesh Accord on Fire and Building Safety set up in the wake of the Rana Plaza catastrophe (set to expire on May 31, 2021), and why worker advocates are fighting to renew it and expand.
Hear directly from key Bangladeshi activists, Rana Plaza survivors, and industry leaders, in line with PayUp Fashion’s mission to center worker voices in conversations about fashion:
- Kalpona Akhter, Founder and Director of Bangladesh Center for Worker Solidarity (BCSW)
- Nazma Akter, Founder and Director of Awaj Foundation
- Taslima Akhter, Bangladeshi award-winning photographer of “Final Embrace” and labor activist (Bangladesh Garment Workers Solidarity)
- Survivors of the Tazreen and Rana Plaza factories disasters
- Miran Ali, VP of BGMEA, an industry group of Bangladeshi suppliers, and the Director of the Ready-Made Sustainability Council (RSC)
- Moderated by Ayesha Barenblat, Remake, and journalist Elizabeth L. Cline