The landmark Garment Worker Protection Act (SB62) was signed into law in California in September of 2021 and addresses the root causes of subminimum wage pay and exploitaotin in the state’s garment factories. SB62 eliminates the piece rate system of pay, by which garment workers earn pennies per garment sewn, until the minimum wage is met. Workers are also enabled to bring a wage theft claim against both brands and manufacturers if they continue to get underpaid.
HOW TO TAKE ACTION:
Please post your support to social media using the following assets.
Quick Template for Instagram
Quick Template for Twitter
YOU CAN ALSO…
PART 1: PICK A CAPTION OR WRITE YOUR OWN
- “Brand Name, or We, or I Support(s) the Garment Worker Protection Act because. . .”
- FOR CITIZENS: Many of LA’s 45,000 garment workers make less than 1/2 the min wage because brands are under-paying factories. Brands at the top of the chain profit from low wages & wage theft without accountability. @gavinnewsom + @JenniferSiebelNewsom, protect workers and stop the exploitation. Pass #SB62
- FOR CITIZENS: We must fix systems that uphold racism & inequality now. Passing The #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct is a start in CA, where we have the 5th largest economy but garment workers, mostly WOC, are exploited. No more sweatshops in #LA! @gavinnewsom + @JenniferSiebelNewsom pass #SB62 #GWPA
- FOR BRANDS: California should be the hub for ethical fashion in the USA, not the sweatshop capital! Legislation needs to catch up with the brands like ours that are leading the way towards a better future for the fashion industry, for businesses and garment workers alike! We urge elected officials to #PassSB62.
- FOR BRANDS: Fashion brands that profit off sweatshop conditions in their supply chain should be held accountable! #SB62 closes loopholes in the law and levels the playing field for brands like ours that follow the law and are committed to manufacturing ethically in California.
PART 2: INCLUDE CALLS TO ACTION
1) Tag Gov. Newsom and First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom and urge them to pass #SB62. Make sure to also tag Garment Worker Center and use the hashtags #SB62 #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
PART 3: SHARE WITH IMAGE
1) Make your own GWPA Support Images! We would love to see your creativity in action!
2) Download Customizable Social Media Templates found HERE (Square and Story size PNG files)
IMAGE YOU CAN USE & SHARE:
SAMPLE TWEETS FOR BUSINESSES
- @GavinNewsom I am a small business owner, one of 145+ in support of #SB62. California should be no place for sweatshops. Make California a leader not a laggard in the $8 billion global ethical and sustainable fashion industry and pass the #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct!
- For #sustainable business to thrive, we need to level the playing field & hold brands accountable who are exploiting workers & stealing wages. Restore pride in the #MadeinLA & #MadeinUSA labels. CA should be an example in sustainability- @GavinNewsom @JenSiebelNewsom pass #SB62
- @GavinNewsom CA garment workers earn $5.85 / hour in the richest state in the United States. Business owners like myself don’t support exploitation. Level the playing field for brands like mine who operate ethically. Pass #SB62 and make California a leader in ethical and sustainable fashion. #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
- @GavinNewsom As the owner of @YOURBRANDNAME I strongly support increased brand accountability and an end to wage theft in California garment factories. I proudly stand with fashion’s essential workers. Please pass #GarmentWorkerProtectionAction #SB62
- @CalChamber: “You do not speak for CA’s small businesses…#SB62 has our “enthusiastic support!” Take SB 62 off the “Job Killer” list. Stand aside & let smart, humane policy move us forward. #SB62 @MariaEDurazo @CAgovernor
SAMPLE TWEETS FOR CITIZENS
- Hey, @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom – #PayHer & end wage theft in CA. Garment workers in LA are earning as little as $2.68/hr. Hold fashion brands liable for ensuring garment workers are paid a fair, livable wage for their hard work. #PassSB62 #GWPA #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
- We must fix systems that uphold racism & inequality now. Passing The #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct is a start in CA, where we have the 5th largest economy but garment workers, mostly WOC, are exploited. No more sweatshops in #LA! @GavinNewsom & @JenSiebelNewsom pass #SB62 #GWPA
- @CalChamber: Take #SB62 off the “Job Killer” list. Garment workers literally died during the pandemic making PPE because of California’s entrenched wage theft. Exploitation is not “job growth” @CAgovernor #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
- Many of LA’s 45,000 garment workers make less than 1/2 the min wage because brands are under-paying factories. Brands at the top of the chain profit from low wages & wage theft without accountability. @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom, protect workers and stop the exploitation. Pass #SB62
- Does racial & economic justice or women matter to you @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom ? It’s only rhetoric until garment workers, disproportionately women of color, many who continue to make face masks, are protected from unethical labor practices. Stop exploitation. Pass #SB62
- The #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct will ensure garment workers make minimum wage in CA for their essential labor. @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom, CA MUST END decades of exploitation! Pass #SB62.
- Taxpayers subsidize wage theft while large brands continue to profit. In 2019 CA used $7MIL+ of General Funds just to catch up on garment claims. This keeps our communities locked in poverty, crushing spending potential. @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom End wage theft pass #SB62
- We are in the 21st century, we should not accept workers making $3, $4 or $5 an hour. California must step up and provide its citizens with an environment where both workers and businesses can thrive. #PassSB62 @GavinNewsom @JenSiebelNewsom #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
- Normalize minimum wage in CA. Normalize worker safety in CA. Normalize brand accountability in CA. @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom #PassSB62 #GarmentWorkerProtectionAct
- Wage theft, worker rights, and workplace safety should not be swept under the rug. How can California have a functional economy when taxpayers are forking out BIG $ for a company’s wrongdoings? #PassSB62 @GavinNewsom + @JenSiebelNewsom
IMAGE YOU CAN USE & SHARE
Frequently Used Links:
SB62 The Garment Worker Protection Act Official Website: www.garmentworkeract.org
Petition for Citizens to Show Their General support: tinyurl.com/SupportGWPA
Form for Brands Who Want to Official Endorse GWPA: tinyurl.com/EndorseGWPA
Ask your followers to Sign the petition: http://bit.ly/supportsb62
Encourage more brands to sign on as endorsers for the bill: http://bit.ly/endorsesb62
Additional Social Media Tags:
When sharing about supporting the bill, it’s very important to tag elected officials and use the appropriate hashtags. The hashtags remain the same across all platforms, but see accounts below for the specific accounts of electeds:
Hashtags: Always use at least these top 3 hashtags:
|ENGLISH HASHTAGS||SPANISH HASHTAGS|