We get it. Between researching brands, reading tags more closely, etc., shopping ethically can feel like a chore. The fashion industry hasn’t made it easy, that’s for sure!
At Remake, we are committed to guiding you to getting there, and it’s all about the baby steps. Shopping sustainably can be a daunting goal, where do you even begin? Especially when that $9.99 Forever21 dress would make be an instant hit at tonight’s happy hour.
1. Make a list of baby steps.
The word resolutions is framed in a way that we have to change our habits in an instant. Too much pressure! I much prefer the word goal. To keep our goals it’s helpful to have a list of realistic baby steps. Shopping sustainably can be a daunting goal, where do you even begin? Especially when that $9.99 Forever21 dress would make be an instant hit at tonight’s happy hour. Baby steps could be:
- Clean out your closet. Read the labels as you cleanse and picture the women from Haiti, Cambodia, Bangladesh that touched that dress and tee before you. Isn’t it crazy that so many lives are connected to your closet?
- Commit to just two tweets or Instagram a month to your favorite brand to ask, “Who made this? What’s her life like?” Share your status update with friends and tag them to do the same.
- Bored at work or in class? Browse our Instagram for some quick tips on looking stylish and sustainable.
- Buy just four new things this year from a brand that look great, respects makers and our planet.
2. Surround yourself with the right support.
If your friend is a YouTube hauler who loves deep discounts no matter what, you might need a new shopping buddy. Apps like Habit Maker Habit Breaker can help you keep track of your goals with happy and sad faces and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing your progress in graphs.
3. Don’t give up!
If you already wavered on your goals to shop better, don’t fret and say goodbye to the guilt. Indulge tonight, then have a kale smoothie tomorrow and go back to step one. Failing is part of success. Keep up the baby steps and know that your goals may change to something greater for yourself and others around you.
When you’re looking to shop sustainably, cruise our collections of the best ethical fashion out there.